top of page
  • jaclynocon

Commonly Asked Questions About Your Upcoming USCIS Adjustment Interview

Updated: Sep 6, 2023

When you are applying for a green card, or lawful permanent resident card, in the United States, you must go through an interview at your local USCIS office. I have compiled some commonly asked questions about the USCIS adjustment interview to help you prepare:

1. Do I have to attend an in-person interview or can it be waived?

From the USCIS website: "All adjustment of status applicants must be interviewed by an officer unless the interview is waived by USCIS. The decision to waive the interview should be made on a case-by-case basis. The interview enables USCIS to verify important information about the applicant to determine eligibility for adjustment. For family-based applications, USCIS generally requires the Form I-130 petitioner to appear for the interview with the principal adjustment of status applicant. In addition, derivatives are also required to appear regardless of the filing category."

2. What is the purpose of a USCIS Adjustment of Status Interview?

The purpose of a USCIS interview is to verify that all the information provided on your adjustment of status application is updated and accurate. During your green card interview, the USCIS officer will review the forms that were submitted and ensure that the information provided in accurate and that the applicant understood the questions on the application. It is also a time where the applicant has the opportunity to amend or change their responses to the questions on the forms. Additionally, any incomplete responses are clarified at the interview. If any corrections to the forms are made, the officer will then ask the applicant to re-sign the application at the end of the interview.

3. What documents should I provide at my USCIS interview?

There are several documents that are required at a USCIS interview. Always remember to carefully read the interview notice sent by USCIS to make sure that you bring the appropriate documents. the USCIS officer will have to confirm that all documents are original or certified copies.

The applicant will also have to provide his or her passport, I-94, and visa documents. The petitioner must provide evidence of their U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent residence in the US. The applicant must also provide a medical examination completed by a civil surgeon, if not already submitted. The petitioner should also provide their tax documents, W-2, and pay stubs to demonstrate that they can financially support the applicant.

If you are applying for adjustment of status based on marriage, you will need to provide a certified copy of your marriage certificate to prove your relationship, as well as evidence that any prior marriages have been dissolved. ex: divorce decree, annulment, or death certificate. You will also need to provide evidence that you entered into your marriage in good faith with the intention of establishing a life together. These documents can include: joint tax returns, joint financial documents, a lease agreement, photographs, affidavits from family and friends, etc.

To file your adjustment of status application with our office, please schedule a free consultation with Jaclyn K. O'Connor, P.A., by calling 954-530-9288.

35 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page